This old and tired looking lamp is from James' childhood in Tahiti. When he showed it to me the first time I wasn't thrilled he wanted to keep it, I didn't love the colours and it doesn't really go with the rest of our decor. So I proposed the idea of giving it a little makeover and updating it a bit. To be honest James needed some convincing, but once we went to the hardware store and I picked out the spray paint and lamp shade he was on board.
What I needed for the update was:
An old and tired lamp
New medium sized lampshade in slate (I bought mine in France's version of Home Depot called Castorama for €19.95)
All purpose indoor spray paint in light rain (I got mine at Castorama for €11.95)
Rope or twine to wrap around the cord (I've had my twine for a while, but probably cost $5.00)
This seriously was the easiest DIY ever! I started by removing the old lamp shade, which actually was the hardest part of the whole process. The damn thing wouldn't unscrew off, but after a lot of force I finally removed it. Then in a somewhat ventilated basement (by that I mean the windows were open) I began to spray paint the base of the lamp. I would recommend doing this outside if you can. Then I waited a couple of hours for it to dry, and began wrapping the cord in twine. I only did this because the cord is a gross brown colour and it didn't look good with the gray. Finally I popped the new shade on and voila, a new lamp! I am really happy with the result, and I am excited to see what James thinks when he gets home from work.